header image

Baseball

Posted by: Mark Putney | April 17, 2014 | No Comment |

By NAHOA JETTE

Rising temperatures, melting snow, and brownish grass can mean only one thing – spring sports at Homer High. But forget about soccer, track, or softball – it’s baseball season.

The boys of summer are back with a new captain at the helm. Replacing the incumbent coach, Lary Kuhns, as head coach is none other than Homer High’s very own, Mr. Putney.

“I think its been a lot more rewarding to be head coach,” Putney said, “I feel more involved in practice. I think we have really solid 10 -12 guys who will be competing for varsity…I think that will be a real strength.”

Rich Sonnen and Steve Fuson will round out the coaching staff for the Mariners this year.

The excitement for the upcoming season is also seen with the players. Senior Tommy Bowe has high expectations for this year’s team.

“We usually start off strong, and fade away later in the season,” Bowe said, “but this year I really do feel like we have the potential to go all the way.”

The Mariners will kick of the 2014 season in Kodiak as they take on the Bears the 25 and 26 of April. The following weekend will include their home opener against the Colony Knights on May 2 and 3.

Be sure to head over the ballfield this season and support your Homer Mariners!

under: Sports

Leave a response -

Your response:

Categories